Ingredients (serves 4-6)
300g potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
2 red peppers, cut into chunk
400g butter beans, drained
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
5 tbsp hot smoked paprika
1 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp dill
2 tbsp tomato paste
2-3 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
Sour cream (to serve), optional
Fresh dill (to serve), optional
6 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp water
1. Prepare all the vegetables. Sieve the flour into a bowl, before adding the egg and water and kneading into a sticky dough. Wrap this in cling film and allow to rest for 30 min before cooking.
2. Heat the oil and fry the onions and garlic until translucent.
3. Add the peppers and paprika and fry for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes, as well as the other spices and herbs, and stir until they are coated with the mixture.
4. Add enough water to cover 3/4 of the potatoes, and add the tomato paste.
5. Bring to the boil, before letting simmer on a medium heat for 20-25 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings. Set a pot of water to boil on the hob and add salt. When it is rapidly boiling, pinch off bits of the dough, twist it into a noodle shape and drop them into the water. They will sink and then float as they cook. Allow them to boil for 15-20 minutes.
7. Add the butter beans and dumplings to the goulash, stir well and allow to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
8. Serve hot with sour cream and dill.