A variation on Vegetarian Student Kitchen: A Persian-style Stew.
Ingredients (serves 4)
1 x butternut squash
1 x aubergine
2 x tinned tomatoes
1 x green pepper
1 x 400g chickpeas
2 tbsp honey (or agave nectar for a vegan version)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp harissa
1 white onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cinammon
Around 5 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Julienne the onion and pepper. Cut the squash and aubergine into chunks. Crush or finely chop the garlic. Drain the chickpeas.
- Put the squash and aubergine on a roasting tray and cover with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in a preheated oven at 200 Celsius (gas mark 6) for 25 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are roasted, sauté the onion and garlic in a large pan with a lid or a tagine until the onion is translucent. Add the harissa and spices and fry at a medium heat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the squash and aubergine and cook until covered with the spices. Next add the tomatoes, honey, lemon juice and salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and peppers and cover and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with e.g. hummus, couscous, or pitta bread.